Saturday, November 24, 2018

MY FRANCO-AMERICAN EXPERIENCES


 
 
It is my honor to be French-Canadian - American .
 My family's history is quite thorough. All sides were  pure-bred FROGS
as the official records reveal. The Potvin side of life's equation came after the Civil War for the most part.
 
My Great Grandfather was born in East Brookfield in August of 1859. Paul Wine married Emma Jandreau of North Brookfield on November 24, 1879. His son was my grandfather Paul Wine  who was born in 1883. My father Joseph Emil was born in 1913.
 
The history of my roots are far-reaching when I look at the History of French Canada. To think my formal education in Saint Louis creates a significant insight into  my past. Jesuit Priest Jacques Marquette (1637 - 1675. Louis Joliet (1648 -1700) explored the  Mississippi River.
 
All along "The English, French and Spanish all wanted to claim North America for their own." The record shows the French were aligned with the native peoples against the British and their American colonists. We must realize battles existed back then. The Plains of Abraham  battle in 1759 in Quebec City saw two generals dead..  (1727 - 1759 French General, Louis  Joseph Montcalm (1712 - 1759 and the British Commander General James Wolfe lay dead on the battlefield!" Clearly the history of Canada, too, is WAR!
 
"French Canadians" continued to resent having to be subordinate themselves to British rule throughout the Twentieth Century.
 
According to " French Canadian Americans .. History New France Settlements" Migration Immigration waves were the biggest between 1839 to 1870. When folks emigrated to USA they brought so many of their traditions with them. I saw this in my grandparents and parents.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CONTINUED
 
ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment