Tuesday, November 27, 2018

MY TROPICAL AUSTRALIA DIARY - DECEMBER 1998

I have been in two tropical cities in Australia, Darwin and Cairns! Both cities are about 15 degrees South Latitude. My landing at the Darwin Airport was to re-fuel from Saigon on my R&R; my being in Cairns ( 1500 miles north of Sydney)
Great Barrier Reef Shore Cairns

City of Cairns



Note names of Territories

Koala Bear

 
Perspective
 and its suburbs lasted the better part of a week. I was the guest of John and Gayle Anthony.. Rod Bryar's friends.

Dear Diary - Dear Gram..

"Imagine yourself being picked up by a stranger at 4:30 PM in front of the Lyon's Hotel in Cairns saying "Bob?" "I retorted "John?" "Yea".. shaking hands and getting into a small white pick-up truck loaded with construction materials."

"John is in shorts and a T-shirt, barefoot and sporting a dark tan. He's truly Australian with a winning smile and a special friend of Rod Bryar."

"From CairnsJohn drives his right-hand drive truck up a winding mountain road - a new highway and about the labyrinthine highway so I can take a picture overlooking the City of Cairns - a tropical paradise!"

"Interestingly enough John takes aout a cigarette paper and proceeds to roll his own! - A craft with smokers I haven't seen in more than 40 years.!

"Our truck is a '98 Nissan.. gets us tohis Tropical fish farm where he raises fish and wholesales them for pet stores. There are large metal containers holding a variety of fish that are spawned and sold to wholesalers."

" John is 53 and a Jack of all trades... the father of 3 and grandfather of 7.As we drive down towards his house I realize I am seeing something unique - a 3 level home built in the Tropical Rain Forest of Northern Australia."

The house was built by John. It's main structure is posts - piers, if you may much like phone poles in the US. Only a picture can fully describe this house with a three foot overhang - octagonal in shape surrounded by lush tropical flora"

To Be Continued on my next blog entry!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
'DOWN UNDER'
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment