Sunday, November 4, 2018

SOLDIER OF THE MONTH BOB


ONE LUCKY SOLDIER-- BUT REALLY.

On becoming a soldier, fate plays a big role. If you keep your nose clean you can achieve as I did. The U.S. Army qualifies you early on with a battery of testing that may have lasted 3 days.

By going along with the mechanics of the military you will travel to different Posts. I did just that. First, Fort Knox, KY for Basic, then onto Fort Sam Houston, TX, for training as a Medic. The first two weeks involved learning how to make a bed and emptying urinals. Then it was onto the classroom.

Fort Sam Houston reminded me of my college years. As an x-ray tech in the making, the classes were really of college level.  It was fun as I bonded with men and women of my aptitude and interests. Our teachers were civilians and some military. My achievement was about 85 points. My bunkmate Larry Bauml placed first in class. Larry is a "bone doctor."

Texas in the Fall is wonderful with clear blue skies. While in Texas I became friends with my Army dentist: Capt. James D. Rollins of Seaford, Delaware. "Jimbo" loved adventure and we traversed Texas on into Mexico.
We even rode horseback across the Rio Grande River into Bouquilis. I smuggled a gallon of rum back to USA!

The next aspect of being a soldier came at Fort Dix, NJ where we received advanced training working in the hospital. As trainees to the field of x-ray technologies, Jack Swedis took the low road. We found a watering hole in Chesterfield, NJ and pushed learning off to the side.

This department was hopping. The X-O-MAT was state of the art. Little did I know I would be developing films in a dingy darkroom in Vietnam. Because The Brookfields were within reach, my buddy Swedis  and I returned to home each weekend. Vietnam was the furthest thing from my mind. It was FTA all the way. (Not fun, travel and adventure.. instead F*** The Army! My warm fires of home gave me a reprieve each weekend.

THEN .. Orders for APO 96291...Vung Tau.. for 12 months and 12 days which proves to be the adventure of my life!

E-3  ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN






RLP  ROW 3  4TH ON RIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment