Thursday, November 15, 2018

ROOFTOPS, GAVELS & GOLD

The book title reflects some of my enterprises in the past half century! In three separate entries I have discovered my writings of the 1990s! My friend Charlene Whitman was my transcriber. Now these works have come back to me and are ready for identifying a book publisher! Know anybody?

I have the ammunition to make PowerPoint






presentations. My homes owner were: 1. 26 King Street, North Brookfield, MA. Purchased in 1970 for $18,000 it was sold a couple of hears later for $26,000. Improvement have always part of my schtick. 2. Came in Scituate, a rambling Cape Cod type with a greenhouse. Purchase price $37,750. (Today the house on 22 Greenfield Lane is worth over Half Million Dollars.) Location, location, location!)

The next home owned can be found at 17 Laurel Avenue, Windsor, CT. It is a Colonial Reproduction built about 1929.. and was an Estate House bought from Hartford National Bank Trust. This was another "must sell" opportunity. Paint and paper went a long way both inside and out. Purchase price: $37,000.

Back to home and The Brookfields The Blair House, a Victorian Greek Revival, offered no running water, no plumbing,  no central heat, leaky slate roof  yet an outstanding original antique home built c. 1867. An Original. Owned for 15 years, the dividends and pay were formidable.

Next came the North Main restoration known as "Benson's House." Another original that was vacant for 16 years. This was a New England beauty which our family lived in for about 4 years. Experiences gained on restoring these two West Brookfield properties gave my comprehensive insights and experiences in rejuvenating wanton "shacks" into sophisticated properties.

Ten years after moving back to The Brookfields saw our Dream Home become a reality.

Home-ownership is serious business and having written about these properties allows me to "sell" my writings. Now sons Ben and Josh and wives enjoy another leap in faith owning two wonderful properties.

As all writers say 'Buy the book first' my experiences and insights will be FOR SALE!

No comments:

Post a Comment