Thursday, November 22, 2018

A MAN NAMED GEORGE YAMAMOTO

IT was at a baseball game at Fenway Park on July 9th, 1989, when I met this  Japanese family. My sons and I were standing in the stands near  the On Deck circle of the Red Sox. A grounder foul-ball came our way. Josh began reaching over the rail to get the baseball when I noticed another boy reaching for the souvenir. I directed Josh "Let him have the ball!" Josh did.

The meeting of minds brought about an immediate friendship. Andrew Yamamoto age 12 held the baseball. His father George and mother were visiting from San Francisco. As we spoke pleasantries this gentle gentleman admitted of living in Japan when WWII ended. He told me "Emperor Hirohito came on the radio: "THE WAR MUST STOP..THE WAR MUST STOP!" The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki did end the war.

In our conversation of the moment.. Mr. Yamamoto said he knew Reggie Jacksons employer: the local Nissan/ Volkswagen dealer in Pao Alto, CA.

Soon thereafter I received his type-written letter which reads:

Dear Bob:

'I received your photos of the ball game at Fenway Park together with your new home which I admire. I sure want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your promptness and sincerity. I hope to keep in contact with you until god calls me.'

I will never forget the day we met at Fenway Park and hope my son will never forget the happy moment.

Sincerely,

George Yamamoto
San Francisco


*
Weeks went by when I called California one day to speak with George. Andrew answered the phone saying "MY DAD HAS DIED!"

The moral to this blog is simple "MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY" Josh and I did and 29 years later the warmth of George Yamamato's emotions are heartfelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment