Sunday, November 18, 2018

FLEA MARKET RETRO

Today I traveled to the Charlton, MA flea market. It has been a while since I did a Sunday morning visit. My observations include noticing many vendors offering 50% off the suggested price. One dealer even posted 75% off. All CDs are one dollar.

I scored early by finding a Dr. Wayne Dyer Inspirational Thoughts.  It was still in the cellophane! $1.00. Also, a copy of found EAGLES GREATEST HITS for a dollar. The VHS dealer admitted to having 6,000 CDs and tapes in his inventory.

Another observation came in noticing the hundreds and maybe thousands of books



for sale. It taught me a great lesson in realizing anyone can write a book!

The offerings ran the gamut from George W. Bush to BAMBI! It makes me think twice about publishing. I think my approach is to have my articles printed and offer them as a package. If there are 100 articles from The New Leader so be it.

I don't know the future of flea markets? Some will stay in business others will close.  Estates today have an abundance of worthless collectible, so it seems. Sunday "fleas" are in a different league than Brimfield. I don't know? When I struck out in 1978 the markets were hot. Suddenly there's a glut in most areas therefore offering millions of mass production everything!

I also bought two 100watt Spiral lamps boasting "13 times bulb life! All my light bulb  are of the  warm, white light capacity.

If you are looking for something to do on a Sunday.. try a flea market. I did!

ROBERT LOUID POTVIN
Thrifty Shopper
Box 11
West Brookfield, Ma

PS There's a round oak table and 4 chairs at the Spencer Salvation Army. A reproduction worth looking at!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment