Friday, April 20, 2018

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:$20 GOLD COIN SOLD!

Persistence is the virtue that separates the men from the boys. Without any exaggeration I showed  the 1903-s Coronet Double Eagle Twenty Dollar gold piece to 20 people. Today, I found my buyer at a Coin Show in Marlboro!

This one Aleo Show was HUGE with a National flare of coin dealers. I renewed some acquaintances of decades ago. In particular was Steve Schofield of New Hampshire Centennial Coin Auctions. Steve and I go back to Kansas City and Missouri Auction School in 1981 then to Indiana University  1986 -1988 and the Certified Auctioneers Institute CAI designation.

I spoke with J.R. Greene and Bob Moffatt... and after another "Low-Ball" offer I hit gold with my gold piece. It seems dealing in coins is as subjective as it gets. Coin-grading is in the EYES OF THE BEHOLDER! "My girlfriend is prettier than yours." "I'll give you a bucket of ashes for a bucket of GOLD." Trading anything requires talent not talents.

I observed two low-ballers with scorn.

I POURED OVER INDIVIDUAL OFFERINGS FOR THREE HOURS.

Numismatic rarities seem to be for the rich. I overheard conversations of "between one hundred and two hundred thousand dollars.." Yea right. Obviously it is a situation of "more money than brains!" Sale-of-the-earth collectors and dealers "hake hands and DEAL.

Since 1955 and the Coin Collecting Merit Badge from Johnny Lyons I have enjoyed dealing in coins. Today, I look for Old Cape Cod on my GPS and reading Lord Byron Poetry.

I did acquire A JFK 2018 HALF DOLLAR and A Jefferson Nickle for the fun of it. No Lincoln Cents yet.

One revealing observation was a collection of Morgan Dealers bought from the furtive coin dealers on Cable TV. Over-graded and over-priced. Not for me.

Earlier, my day began with a wonderful "Man-Sized" breakfast at the North Brookfield Senior Center. Link Sausage, two strips of bacon, scrambled bacon, coffee, juice and friendship. Just why only 10 people showed up is beyond me!? It is obvious certain thwarted attitudes prevail with Senior Centers. Time to Grow Up, Oldies!

My painter and decorator Erik-The-Red has arrived. Things are shaping up. "A Whole New Me."

Sincerely yours in TODAY!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
A MAN WITH COMMON CENTS
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

45 degrees at 4:45 PM




















No comments:

Post a Comment