Saturday, June 18, 2016

THE DECAY OF LBJ

Hamilton Gregory's new book on "The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam War has cracked the egg of truth as I see it. This one incredible book" McNamara's Folly" brings me way back to February 14, 1964. It was then I got to shake President Johnson's hand as he visited St. Louis University. It was a monumental event as we, as Americans, really didn't know what to expect from our new President.

As it turns out Saint Louis was the first  university for Johnson to visit. I was determined, as a young political junkie, to meet the challenge.The President's presence was far more important than some boring philosophy class about St. Thomas Aquinas. It was February and I was game. Every observation of mine had meaning. Griesedieck dormitory had to be vacated.. shades drawn and television cameras in place. I was the first one in line... and boy was I determined. It was surreal and set the things for thing to come.

LBJ was the antithesis of JFK. Johnson proved to be a "crude dude." Funny thing my romance with Lyndon Johnson grew. Why? because he wanted to save America from the throes of poverty. He beseeched the crowds "can't you find it in your hearts?" It didn't work.

"Guns and Butter" proved to be futile in Johnson's attempts. 1964 and the Presidential Election was the beginning of the end. Then, in early 1965, I graduated not knowing a military obligation would be forthcoming. It seems I skirted the Draft and took the lead from Mrs. Marion McNamee "Let the Chips Fall." Aetna Life & Casualty "drafted" me. By summertime the Vietnam build-up began it's furor. So much happened so fast. Friends and foe alike sought shelter. I avoided things for 13 months.

I have held Aces in my life and one was being lucky. I still liked LBJ regardless of his raucous doings from showing his gall bladder scar to lifting up his beagle's ears. Can you imagine if Trump did that now? LOL. Uncle Sam grabbed me on May 13, 1966.

Later that year I traveled to Texas to Ft. Sam Houston. Living in Texas was my cup of tea. Fort Sam Houston inculcated me more in the ways of LBJ. I liked the guy's BS.



. But how can you like a crook and a killer? Demonstrations in America were cruel. Fewer and fewer believed in our leader and for good reason.

Now, in 2016, the memories of LBJ have faded. I no longer wanted to be a cowboy.

Books like Mr. Gregory's help me digest the Vietnam debacle. How could we be so blind to the truth?



No comments:

Post a Comment