Wednesday, February 10, 2016

YOU WIN SOME...YOU LOSE SOME

You win some, you lose some, and so it goes. As any type of sports enthusiast you can never deny defeat. Defeat is inevitable. Such was the case down at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. So what else are you going to do on a cold winter's night? The guy who invented the game of basketball at Springfield College in 1891 had a better idea.

In high school I delighted in being scorekeeper. Couldn't play worth a damn yet I was enthused by the winter courtside action. Mr. Leach and Larry Boyd brought out the best in the young men. Mr. Stanley Porter, coach, didn't last long. Poor guy.

Then I was in the big leagues.. in the Missouri Valley Conference with players who towered above 6'8". Courtside was at Kiel Auditorium in Saint Louis. A fraternity had an antique bell gonging as the Billikens under coach John Bennington were mediocre at best. I recall some of the players by name...
Gary Garrison, Don Dee, Hank Zuchowski and many more.

College basketball brings out the best with Sons Ben and Josh. We delighted in seeing Seton Hall University onto victory in the early 90s. Terry Dehare, Gerry Walker, Luther Wright and more saw games come alive...big time. Then, Ben became an announcer of the b-ball games for college radio 'Pirate Ball" WSOU.

My mother and I traveled to U-Conn and Providence and BC following Ben in his work. If anything, Seton Hall University paid me dividends with the tam's quest of a national championship... again. P.J. Carlissimo, coach, almost made it in 1989. How exciting. Now I have grandchildren enthused by the winter games. Chase-American will surely be in the big arena shooting hoops in 10 years.

Life is a game, I guess. What do they say? "It's not if you win or lose.. but how you play. My Buddy Stackow said it best when I asked him "what do athletes do in playing?" "It's balls to the wall."

Tonight, Seton Hall lost to Butler University. I could tell early on the Pirates just haven't the necessary gas in their tanks. How about you? Do you have a full tank of gas? Drive to Sturbridge for some gas. They are giving it away at $1.59 a gallon! Watch the price of GOLD and SILVER climb. One thing is sure in life:
 
 
 

 
 
SETON HALL UNIVERSITY  S. ORANGE, NJ

 
 
 

 
 
'SOU DUDES
 
 

 
ST. LOUIS BILLIKEN



 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 



NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment