Friday, February 26, 2016

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE PRESIDENT

'What  It Means To Be President' by President J. Calvin Coolidge, found  The American Magazine, July  1929 , was located by me this morning at the Robert Frost Library at Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts. Because Calvin Coolidge is an alumni I had an inkling I might find something in their archives. I sure did; I found two media boxes full of articles spanning the lifetime of the man from Plymouth Notch who would become President of the United States.


Coolidge was an anomaly in the process of being elected president. He was born on July 4, 1872, sworn in in the Summer of 1923 by his father with whom he was visiting in Vermont when word reached the duo that Warren G. Harding had died making father and son news around Planet Earth in the dim light of a kerosene lamp.


In 1924 in Cal's quest for election came the party's cry 'KEEP COOL AND KEEP COOLIDGE." It worked. The former mayor from Northampton, Mass., the former Lieutenant Governor, the former Governor and so on climbed into the presidency with both shoes on. Like "Abraham' Calvin was honesty and it shows in his abundance of writings.


The following is an example of what I mean: "If others make mistakes they can be relieved, and oftentimes a remedy can be provided. But the President cannot retire. His decisions are final and usually irreparable. This constitutes the appalling burden of his office." It is like what President Harry Truman was famous for 'THE BUCK STOPS HERE." I like Mr. Truman and I like Calvin Coolidge!


Ronald Reagan, too, admired  I think as did the media according to this Mother Lode discovered. Better yet the Coolidge Presidential Library  is located at the Forbes Library in Northampton.. and so, here I go next week. Return to sender.


This article on Coolidge was published by The Crowell Publishing Company. The content is something so special to me thanks to Mariah, librarian. Further Coolidge wrote "Every day of the Presidential life is crowded with activities. He admits to meeting thousands of visitors and walking his dog and taking a nap. 'I always preferred to shave myself with old fashioned razors which I knew how to keep in good condition.

Calvin Coolidge was a Yankee farmer and never forgot his Plymouth Notch roots... never. YouTube reveals a testimony of his Roaring Twenties in office. He sure knew how to get out when the getting was good. "I choose not to run in 1928." Calvin Coolidge was a dedicated public servant... a rare breed, indeed and to think I had the pleasure of interviewing his son, John, in later years pleases me to no end.


I think I will send this article to Donald Trump as The Donald might learn something from The Calvin.


Remember the beer commercial" "Coolidge?"




1 comment: