Thursday, February 4, 2016

ME & LBJ

President Lyndon Baines Johnson, according to Lady Bird Johnson "was a needed president. On February 14, 1964, LBJ came into my life while I was a college junior. In a crowd of over 10,000 well-wishers I was the first arriving 8 hours before President Johnson's arrival at Mill Creek where he planted a tree! It was an exciting time in my 23 years.

The details of the Security was imposing. All window shades had to be pulled down on Griesedieck Hall and others. and men with Thompson Submachine guns stood atop all buildings in the immediate area. Nobody knew what to expect. It was a cold February Friday yet our spirits were high and warm with anticipation. One by one the crowd built up. Television cameras were mounted high to capture the crowd and I was seen on St. Louis television! My boss, Lou Marcus of Lou's Tobacco Shop said he saw me.

LBJ's visit was covered in the University magazine, a publication I held for years. Further, after Johnson left and the dust settled I went to the Office of the President and asked is a letter was received from The White House." Yes" was the response and they cheerfully gave me a copy. That too was given back to the Office of the President years later. Father Larry Biondi even called me thanking me for my generosity and thoughtfulness.

A presidential visit can be very big no matter where he or she may go. As this was the first after the JFK Assassination on November 22, 1963,  we all hoped for inspiration from President Johnson. Not so. His lanky stature and Southern drawl really was disappointing and the content of his prepared text lacked the eloquence of John F. Kennedy. Johnson talked about Budweiser beer and Buster Brown shoes....Wow.

But the crowd came alive once the president moved in my direction. I was front and center behind a snow fence that gave in to the pressure of humanity. Several nuns were pushed onto me and the Secret Service got us back on our feet. ASs Johnson worked the crowd "pressing flesh" my pivotal position paid off. I had a plan.

When we shook hands I beseeched LBJ for his handkerchief in his suit coat: " Mr. President.. May I have your handkerchief as a souvenir?" He replied "No son, I may need it later on." Darn. My query  had slowed up President Johnson long enough for a member of the Press to snap "Me and LBJ!"

That was in 1964. While in the U.S. Army down in Texas I had another chance to shake his hand. It was at Fort Sam Houston. The poor guy had polyps removed from his throat and gargled
some inaudible noises.

Lyndon B. Johnson was our president during the most of trying times since the Civil War. As his wife said " Lyndon was a needed President."




I am behind "dy" with a hooded jacket


630 feet high

 cowboy Lyndon

College Campus  today



Fort Sam Houston


PRESIDENT JOHNSON & I SHAKE HANDS!

1 comment:

  1. All I can imagine is that LBJ DID give you his handkerchief.....bloody and snotty. He probably thought you were a spy trying to find out your health issues....nah,would they do that?.....yup

    ReplyDelete