Monday, August 15, 2016

STAMP COLLECTING


very valuable duo!
The late Louis E. Roy. MD,, the late preeminent local historian inspired me to no end in December of 1954. I had just began collecting stamps and the good doctor showed me his very rare stamp collection of United States stamps. I was on my way. to learning what philately really was: simply stated it was about history and geography.


Through my high school years at NBHS I delighted in working my "winter hobby," Ruth Young further mentored me and Stackow and Richard Gagnon in collecting. By the time college came around I started to" wheeling and dealing."





Trans-Mississippi  1898



Presidential Series 1938



Eads Bridge  St. Louis








This has been my style for decades upon decade.


Postage stamps are miniature works of art. They are printed around the world by governments and others. The first stamp was fashioned in 1847 called the 'Penny Black' as opposed to Penny Fullam LOL. Both stamp collecting and the manufacture of stamps have been subordinated by the computer strips they call stamps.


Today I purchased an estate of stamps and this small collection fires me up so I can introduce the grand kids to one of my life's pleasures... collecting stamps. I plan on filling in the blanks and telling my story. Stamp Collecting is alive in 2016 but I don't know to what degree. I shall find out.


Jackie Kennedy appreciated my creating in 1994. So here we go...more fun in the name of philately.



National Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment