Thursday, August 18, 2016

DRIVING AN AMPHICAR ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI

Driving an Amphicar across the Mississippi River was easy! The year was 1963.













All it took was night vison and guts. I had both!


Friend Frank Tencza was passenger and the owner was out cold in the back seat. How I ever maneuvered such a fete is beyond me. I was 21, dauntless, daring and dumb. We could have drowned in the Spring current of the mighty Mississippi. We didn't .


Getting across the Mississippi river was one thing, getting bogged in the mud was another. I get myself in it; I got myself out of it. It was pitch dark and I recruited driftwood, a jack and some brains to pull out of the jam. Nothing in Vietnam can compare to this charade. Nothing.



Every step of the way I was lucky. Lucky I knew how to drive this German wonder, lucky to know how to get out of the mess of mud and lucky the East St. Louis, Illinois Police knew the owner (Doctor Sauer) and lucky the doctor paid for our cab ride back to campus at St. Louis U. at 3:45 AM.



As General Patton once said  'No guts, no glory.' If you doubt me give Tencza a call. He was my sidekick!

No comments:

Post a Comment