Wednesday, August 10, 2016

AN UNKEMPT GEEZER OF 85

Several hours ago I was reviewing some compact discs at the local thrift store. I noticed this man deficient in neatness. He sported a growth of maybe four days and appeared roughshod through and through. I thought I recognized the old man and indeed I did.


"Doctors say I don't look a day over 20 and I don't feel my age at all." I anticipated his solicitation of some pro bono advice on my part as on several other occasions he asked my opinion on silver and gold. I was right!


Geezer X opened the door and I seized the opportunity. In no uncertain terms I retorted "DO SOME GOOD." I surprised him with my candor! I continued "there are tons of Americans living in abject poverty." Do some good! If he has millions and projects the image of poverty, surprise people with crisp Hundred Dollar bills.


My Jesuit training at St. Louis University (1962 - 1965) showed me what compassion and munificence really is. I never forgot what I learned on the streets. My college was surrounded  by the ghetto.  Sure, I'm living a good life and have a definite attitude about wealth. At the same time simplicity in spirit works for me. MONEY DOESN'T BUY HAPPINESS! But I do believe money can buy happiness in helping my fellow man.


As Glenn Campbell espoused in his song 'Try A Little Kindness' I say to Geezer X try doing some good!

No comments:

Post a Comment