Wednesday, July 15, 2020

THE SUMMER OF 1964 CAPE COD NATIONAL SEASHORE

Last semester at St. Louis University was preceded by summer employment on Cape Cod! I wanted to be a ranger and was successful in obtaining a job from Sen. Edward M. Kennedy! I make contact with Francis T. "Red" Lee who introduced me to Mr. Kennedy by way of a letter I sent him.

The Summer of 1964 was my Dream Job.I drove a Dodge Power Wagon over the sand dunes of the Outer Cape. My employment allowed me to save enough money for my last semester. Further loans were obtained to get me to my goal: A college degree.

Saint Louis was a stopping point for politicians and baseball. I worked at Bush Stadium as a runner for one Paul Vathis.  an AP photographer who won  the Pulitzer Prize of Kennedy & Eisenhower at Camp David! I worked three games and saw the Cardinals capture the World Champion title. It was meaningful for in 1987 I took sons Ben & Josh to attend the World Series back in St. Louis! I was amazed to see how things changed in three decades!

Further, LBJ campaigned in St. Louis to the jeering of the crowd. I was there!

On February 7, 1965 I reached my goal of college graduation:" DEGREE CONFERRED!" I maintained " What I have learned in my time at St. Louis U wasn't what I learned in the books and classrooms but what I learned on the streets and associations I made.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment