Wednesday, July 15, 2020

DISCOVERING ST. LOUIS

Initially I would ride public transit for a 10 cent fare. The university is located in Mid-town. The trolley is on Olive Street. The university is surrounded by commercial enterprises and slums! SLU was in an expansive re-birth with substantial new classrooms and housing. It was convenient.

Gradually my homesickness wore off with friends made. St. Louis  was my home. Springtime in St. Louis saw beer-drinking parties at Forest Park. Socializing with co-eds was normal. In the Spring I liked forward to obtaining summer employment. I hit pay dirt in getting a job as a cook ATOP MT. WASHINGTON IN THE HOTEL!  It lasted one month then I quit. I returned home to North Brookfield, MA and was hired once more by Frank Cooke. Mr. Cook, in no small way, helped me in my quest for obtaining an education. He served as my mentor.

Returning to Saint Louis was problematic. I had little money and began borrowing student loans. Getting my father to co-sign the notes was difficult. I said "This will be my ticket to life."

Year two at St. Louis was more comfortable. I found two courses  CONSERVATION OF OUR NATURAL RESOURCES AND U.S. HISTORY inspiring. I got As in both! Father Faherty was genius!

I worked as dormitory mail clerk that year in addition to working in Lou's Tobacco Shop and the bookstore. All along mother sent me $5 a week.
It was more like home.. 1,200 miles from home.

My last semester at SLU proved to be full of excitement. Earlier LBJ came to campus then the Cardinals played in the World Series!
William B. Faherty


Frank Cooke



 

No comments:

Post a Comment