Wednesday, July 15, 2020

HOMESICK IN ST. LOUIS

Leaving home in 1962 for sights unseen catapulted me into an adventure that shaped my entire adult life. I boarded a Greyhound bus in Worcester and for the next 24 hours I traveled to NYC, PA WVA, Indiana onto Illinois. My destination was Saint Louis, Missouri.

In retrospect bus travel left much more of an impression than flying by jet. Little did I realize how flat the Midwest was. I didn't know what I was in for.

I had graduated from Worcester Junior College and left home with a suitcase full of ambition. My hopes were to received an education in meteorology! That lasted for two weeks as higher math wasn't my bag and I quickly transferred to the College of Arts and Science majoring in Geography.. minor in Political Science.

Living 1200 miles from home in Massachusetts necessitated making friends both in the dormitory (Clemens Hall)  and in class. It was a whole new experience for me. Soon the folks back home in Massachusetts were pulling strings.. I was homesick! It was so bad I bought an airfare as my safety net.

My new friends included Bill Gross from Indianapolis. Also, a Jesuit named Father Robert E. Bosken befriended me as we both were coin collectors! I yearned for the beautiful Fall colors of New England as the Midwest just didn't get it! Saint Louis offered other interests to include the Saint Louis Cardinals.

Dormitory living saw new friends from all over. My first Thanksgiving away from home saw me travel to Indianapolis with Bill Gross. It was here the two of us drove a lap at famed Motor Speedway.

My employment was necessary. I found working in the University Bookstore a natural and latched onto the Manager, E.V. Shields. I was on my way. My academic achievement was 'Average Attainment' and the first year as a Billiken was uneventful.

To be continued

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN


 
Father Bosken

 






No comments:

Post a Comment