Sunday, March 19, 2017

'WHAT'S AN AUCTIONEER'?

Traditionally, an auctioneer is another word for salesman. Today, I was surprised to be queried by a "black haired beauty" at the Radio Museum in Windsor, CT. The innocence of the question tells me not everyone knows what an auctioneer says or does!


My published article in the "Rotarian Magazine" Bob Potvin July,1992, is the best steering I can give to those of curious minds on auctions.
Auctioneers run the gamut. Some are cowboys others are Straight-Lace high brow types.


An auctioneer may be an liquidator of excessive inventories. Used automobiles, trucks and other merchandise may go over the auctioneer's block. Auctioneers may specialize i.e. fine arts or farm equipment. An auction may be of Real or Personal property...cash and carry!


The auction may be held in a church or other public location such as a school. There can be a mystique to an auction and sometimes there is. The auction man be Unrestrictive-Unreserved selling to the Highest Bidder or sold with a Reserve. This means "I'll sell it if I get my price, etc."




Personally, I enjoy auctions Unrestricted - Unreserved. Over my 4 decades of selling at auctions I have sold so much. I have had successful rare coin auctions, antique clock auctions.Benefit Auctions are a form of fundraisers. I have done auctions for free and I have earned a commission... say 10% of the take.






Auction companies collect revenues for the State. An auctioneer essentially is the impresario ... the person in charge. I have staged estate auctions requiring two or three auctioneers. It is demanding....with a strong back, quick wit and the desire to serve your fellow man.




There are bona fide auction schools around the Country. I graduated from Missouri Auction School and Indiana University - Certified Auctioneers Institute.






Auctions are "team efforts." The pay can be good.


Never been to an auction? Try one... you'll like it!


And then thre was Jim who sustained a "whiplash" on E-BAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment