Monday, April 18, 2016

THE LEGEND OF SMALL POX CAVE - NORTH BROOKFIELD, MASS

On April 19, 1788, a man by the name of Israel Allen chiseled his name in granite telling his story: "I had the Small Pox here April 19, 1788." Allen's message is plausible and was handed down to my great-grand father, my great grandfather my grand-father and my father down onto my kids and myself. Legend is strong when it comes to this story as it is true
.

Smallpox vaccine wasn't around back then and missions of deaths prevailed in the world. Then a cure came along and the smallpox story healed. Richard B. Johnson and I carried on the tradition back in 1957 to the degree we chiseled our  own initials & names in the rocks for posterity.

Today, The North Brookfield Forest has a new sign across the street from Hardy's Garage NB. The high tension lines west foretell the way to  Small Pox Cave. Follow the wall up and down the hill Another way is to take Cider Mill Road and enter at the bridge. It is exciting but don't don't get caught trespassing!

"I had smallpox here April 119, 1788" was a long time ago!

1 comment:

  1. Can you locate this cave via the N Brookfield forest without trespassing?

    ReplyDelete