Friday, April 22, 2016

POULIN ROOTS

My Poulin roots are purebred French-Canadian. Legend has it Joseph Poulin was "big, tall and raw-boned.. a wood chopper." He was killed by a fallen tree. My Great-Grand father  would pick up his son in one hand saying "I'm still thee boss, Joseph!" Pictures of the two exist today in the North Brookfield Historical Museum.

" He trapped with the Indians around Lake Superior until he was age 14.. was a railroad night watchman.. was a pipe smoker and died of tongue cancer. His son, J. Oscar was a cobbler living on Forest Street, North Brookfield at 44 Forest Street. My grandfather played the violin and Ida, played the piano. They raised 7 children.. Rita, Albert, Del, Florence, Jeannette Francis and Blanche. Francis was valedictorian of his class at North Brookfield High School.

The grandmother side came from Putnam, CT..Tetreault..I have checked out the roots in Thompson

My grandmother's French- Canadian roots hailed from St. Jude, Canada.

All of the Poulin, Potvin roots raised big families. Ledoux Variety Store was on North Common Street, North Brookfield in "Little Canada" across from the town common.
It was a simple life 100 years ago. Today the French Canadian heritage I all but forgotten.. so it seems. 'I remember Mama.'


No comments:

Post a Comment