Friday, April 22, 2016

CAPE COD

Cape Cod can be a frame of mind. My "Cape of Mind "began in 1954 and has never left me. Initially it was on Sea Street in Dennisport. As a boy of 12 I learned what swimming in the Atlantic Ocean meant. In 1959 I learned what it meant to swim in the cold waters of Eastham. In 1964 I learned what Henry David Thoreau meant when he wrote saying 'A man can stand on the shores of the Cape and leave all of America behind him.

Cape Cod beckons those souls who want to get away from it all. The grand sand dunes in the Outer Cape are fun.  driving buggies, fishing for stripers, having a campfire knowing you are free. Clambakes and lobster bakes and a cold beer make for a picnic.

The Cape Cod National Seashore was JFK's pet. He signed legislation in 1961. In 1964 I was privileged to wear the uniform of the National Park Service. I lived in Crapser Cottages in North Truro. But the Outer Cape isn't for everyone. Falmouth and Orleans and Yarmouth attract many owning second homes. And yes there re even campgrounds on Cape Cod!

Martha's Vineyard  and Nantucket can be other attractions for the well heeled.

The unique beauty of Cape Cod and its surrounds will blossom once again attracting millions of tourists, worldwide. One of the less expensive cottages in North Truro is Z-R Rest Cottages.

My lifetime of Cape Cod memories grow with each new season.


No comments:

Post a Comment