Monday, October 23, 2017

THE WORLD SERIES EXCITEMENT

Back in 1964 the World Series were played in the afternoon! Old Bush Stadium was one mile down Grand Boulevard for a 10c fare. Friend Bill Gross and I were daring, to say the least. In a determined mid-set Bill and I climbed up a Billboard ( no relation) to see the game. Determination personified.


The lasting impressions of that day were "Cadillacs and fur coats." It wasn't for the baseball fans, necessarily but for the well-healed. Not to worry.


Returning to Griesedieck Hall dormitory some magic happened. Wild Man Gerald D. Reilly had a baseball in his hand! "Where did you get it? I asked?I was at the Game!


Okay, now the plot thickens. Learning Reilly got credentialed for Game I because he knew an AP Reporter  Pat McDonald? who hailed from Westchester County, NY!


'you get me into game 2' I implored my future Best Man. I was passionate about my request. It worked! I too was credentialed. I was in heaven and I worked for a Press Photographer, Paul Vathis as a runner of Kodak films to the dark room.


The New York Yankees lost to the Saint Louis Cardinals. We flooded the outfield and Gerry Reilly snagged a souvenir A Cardinal baseball cap! Of yours he was "three sheets to the wind." I worked three games in all. Tomorrow night  I'll recount my "Impossible Dream" experiences while serving in Vung Tau in 1967



! Stay tuned.
Old Busch Stadium on Grande Boulevard STL

No comments:

Post a Comment