Friday, October 27, 2017

THE BARBER SHOPS OF OLD NORTH BROOKFIELD

Every boy in North Brookfield remembers the name Freddy Brucker - Barber. Ferninand Brucker had a walking disability yet managed to climb the stars of the Adams Block 6 days a week.


Freddy had an infectious spirit and a good heart! "And that's for you" as he rebated each boy a nickel when paying for a 25 cent clipping.. maybe a Crew Cut!? Fred also sold little bottles of Wildroot.


My absolute first go at being an entrepreneur came with building a wooden shoeshine box and Freddie Brucker"'s was my first stop! Old Ray Mahan was there sporting black and white saddle shoes like Glenn Frey used to sport! I didtinctly remember getting a Walking Liberty silver dollar for my efforts!


Next came barber Jesse Quinn.. down in the basement beneath Leo LeDoux Dry Cleaning. Jesse was a sportsman and the quiet type.


ANTONIO INGEMI (Tony's) seemed to be the busiest.) Located on Central Street, Tony also had a bowling alley and a billiard set-up.Few remember the Station Agent potbelly stove in the Shop and the painted-red head pin in the Alley!I do!!!! The Late John Ingemi inherited his father's business and today  JOHN' BARBER  SHOP is owned by Sandi Ingemi.


On the distaff side of coiffeur ISABELLA MC CARTHY gave permanents.Isabelle was my friend as I worked with her husband Jake at LaBelle's food Centre. Isabelle used to give me shampoos when I visited. That was when I had hair! LOL. Francis T. "Red" Lee used to socialize with Jake and Isabelle.


Yes. the good old days! Lord Byron said "ALL DAYS ARE GOOD WHEN THEY AREE OLD!"


And we can't forget HEADWAY and Cathy Mitchell!






Today the sun is out and I feel like a HAPPY APPLE!


IF YOU ENJOY READING MY BLOG, DO ME A FAVOR!


TELL TEN OF YOUR FRIENDS!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment