Thursday, October 19, 2017

HOPE FOR THE HOMELESS IN WORCESTER,MA

I got far more than I bargained for in Worcester! First I called on the huge Salvation Army operation. My quest is Ray Conniff LPs. I found four or five more five for my growing collection. Conniff's music has a flair of Latin to it plus tunes from the 50's 60's 70s and more.


The Worcester Salvation Army is mammoth serving 6 Salvation Army Stores.


After I did my shopping and review of collectibles offered (including a Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio and a player piano I sought out my main Man Angel. Angel used to work in the Spencer SA Store. I get insights from my friend and appreciate his goodness. Now he works in Receiving.


My next stop was UNION STATION.. "A Poem In Stone."


I paid $4 to park and haven't been there in several years. I once took the Commuter Rail to South Station and enjoyed the experience. I will do it again.


So now, as I sat on a bench in the terminal I imagined the masses buzzing around 100 years ago. I have memories of once being a Cub Scout traveling to Boston. The trip was very impressionable. All train stations seem to be nostalgic including the one in Saint Louis.. Union Station. Today Worcester's station seems barren.


As I sat alone a man in a walker approached me. Late fifties.. hobbling around. He seemed sad, unshaven. He touched my heart. We spoke and were together for an hour. What the man said made sense."People don't care about the homeless in Worcester. In need of two hips replaced. Pathetic at age  58." I listened and I mentored the man of Latino origin who was a Veteran...."11B20 was his MOS. He spoke of having a DD214.


I concluded the man needed help and I gave him a little HOPE  for tomorrow money.









Then a beautiful 38 year old blonde with a back pack joined in the conversation "I have 2 kids, am homeless, and am finding the nights cold sleeping in my sleeping bag."


Yesterday I saw at least 3 panhandlers on Route 9 in Hadley, beyond  U-Mass.


Homelessness is a social malady. I used to see it all the time alighting the Turnpike in Boston.


I will go back to Union Station soon to look up my new homeless friend. He was on his way to Congressman Jim McGovern's Office when we met!



No comments:

Post a Comment