Sunday, October 29, 2017

AIRPORTS OF THE BROOKFIELDS

On July 29, 1947, Uncle Al and my father Joe gave me a memorable treat: a ride in a Piper Cub  airplane! It was from a landing strip owned by one Gussie Willett, pilot, on the location of the wire shop across from Dollar General. I was dauntless as I looked out of the plane's window observing the concrete highway a concrete Route 9.






Returning military pilots just loved flying along the Quaboag River at a low altitude. One such pilot was my late esteemed friend, David O. Kubly of Worcester Junior College fame. Ten years later I caught a flight from Hiller Airport in New Braintree.






This was an interesting experience as once we were airborne in the Bi Plane we could see the Quabbin Reservoir. The year was 1959 perhaps. Around the same time a plane crashed at Gold Mine Curve , West Brookfield. I heard the radio announcing the crash from Buffalo and WKBW. A few years later the beautiful Jacqueline Lane and Ray Heck died in a plane crash.






Fast forward 2007, noted author, inventor, pilot, engineer, and friend, RICHARD B. JOHNSON treated me to 2 flights from Hiller Airport in his Cessna! Finally, in 1986 I flew over the Brookfields with my sons and saw my Blair House! I think it's time for a flight.....want to come?
Johnson Plane Graces' .Jeepster  (Linda and Lou in background)

No comments:

Post a Comment