Sunday, October 29, 2017

RICE & GADAIRE AND HOWE LUMBER YARDS



When I was very young, a trip to Brookfield meant riding down the unpaved Brookfield Road.It was a happy time for me. The "lumber-yard" was a yard of happiness. Cliff and Paul Gadaire treated us Potvins like family! Paul was the whistler in such a melodic fashion. Cliff was all business.




The yard man "BECKY" took care of the boards requiring milling. Dad was one discerning carpenter. He would reject 9 out of 10 boards. All along I was being taught the ropes of becoming  carpenter. It was fun! As I grew Uncle Al and Dad employed my muscles. By the time I was in Junior College I handled a bundle of asphalt shingles on a ladder!  I learned sheet rocking and lathing. But dad advised me "don't be a carpenter, Bob". .it's too hard work!




From Gadaires I glissaded to Howe Lumber on Mill Street NB when I was 35. My carpenter credentials were formidable.. even as a Novice.




Steve Howe was a friend. I continued to learn how to handle the tools. The very nature of being an auctioneer exposed me to antiquity.. antique hand-tools and all that jazz. Selling them to the Highest Bidder was even more fun.


SOLD!




Birch Hill was a thrill for me. It was the culmination of my "playing carpenter." Now Richard Kemp demonstrated how a Master Carpenter worked in building my house.




It all begins with a tree. I delight in stating 7 specie of wood went into my house. Son Josh is now at the helm of carpentry and Chase-Boy should follow. Life is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment