Sunday, May 14, 2017

RITA POTVIN 1916 - 2008

Rita & Joe Potvin

Sharp Dressers of the 1930's


Teenager

Bob & Mother 1990




Mother Ida & Father Oscar
1940

The Sign says Oscar Poulin Shoe Repairing
44 Forest St, NB


I just can not say enough good about my mother! Throughout my life, Rita commanded respect from me and gave compassion. She was the boss and we knew it. She was always cheerful and optimistic, was a perfectionist and wore Aunt Mary's hand-me-downs in style. She never let on to being a second-sand-Rose as Barbara Streisand sings
.


But my mother was from another era. She responded to the needs of her mother, Ida, by turning over her $10 weekly pay save for a pair of nylons. More than once mother told me she wanted to be a nurse yet quit N.B.H.S. as she was "bored!"




She married young, lived in an apartment above her parents at 44 Forest Street, N.B.and in 1945 moved to a brand new house on South Main Street. 'It was like a death in the family when we moved, Bob" She and dad lived there for 9 years. Dad bonded with Oscar helping him cobble old shoes. No televisions, no nothing except love .DAD many times related "Oscar and Ida were two of the nicest people I ever met."




It is almost 101 years since my mother's birth. Rita Ida Poulin Potvin had it all including good health and longevity. She never smoked cigarettes and enjoyed a small glass of wine. Her words to me were encouraging, and yes,as a boy I got SOAP IN THE MOUTH and dad gave me ore than one licking in our small dungeon! LOL.




As a Senior Citizen, "Gram" traveled to Florida, Australia and Rome. My mother was a beauty, self-confident, and thrifty yet splurged in giving her grandchildren many, many, many gifts. I tried to make Rita proud of me by my thoughtfulness and actions. From the get-go my parents imparted their wishes of "no trouble, Bob."




And so it goes. Now with five grand-children and sons Ben and Josh, I pause to remember "The Lady from Little Canada!"





No comments:

Post a Comment