Friday, May 5, 2017

ORDERS FOR INDUCTION - 1966

The Kentucky Derby always evoked memories of my being Drafted! It was the capstone of my young adult years. I got out of college in February, 1965, and had better than a year in getting my shop in order. It was an emotional time for me. AETNA had given me a vote of confidence with employment as a casualty claim representative, trained me in Worcester, then moved me to Park Forest, IL.


I was ambivalent in my ways.. what to do? Well, I did it... I took the Draft.


The Selective Service System gave me the number 19 171 42 170. My GREETING is dated April 22, 1966 and was signed my Sophie M. Arnieri., Local Board No. 171, Sugden Block, Spencer, MA.


Mother set the tone: "IF YOU CAN GO TO SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY YOU CAN SERVE YOUR COUNTRY." She knew I need some "growing up."


I was drafted on Friday, May 13th and began the adventure of my life. Basic Training was to be in Kentucky at Fort Knox! I loved it!! I knew the U.S. Army was the right way to go. Fort Knox was my gold. I was calky and stood up to crusty old drill sergeants for the most part. "Basic" brought out the best in me.


Advanced Training in Texas was equally stimulating. I was in my own element.



I loved LBJ'S Hill Country and San Antonio. Then it would be onto Fort Dix for OJT. I never looked back.


A year in Vietnam saw my luck continue. I achieved and I was lucky. But that is so long ago. "No regrets" and tomorrow my heart will be at Churchill Downs. It's called "growing up" you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment