Tuesday, May 2, 2017

REMEMBERING MARION AND "BABE" VARNEY OF NORTH BROOKFIELD, MASS

Summer Street at Prospect, North Brookfield, MA is the location of this Victorian splendor. It served as the Varney's castle for decades. Further, it was the repository of the Varney's antique inventory. Their shop was in West Brookfield. You know the location.








As  budding auctioneer, somehow, I 'volunteered' to help liquidate the Vellis King Estate in the Congregational Church hall. The proceeds were earmarked for Marion's painter's guild. Marion was in charge. I distinctly remember auctioning a photograph of Henry David Thoreau for one hundred dollars!




Years went by and Marion decided to sell her big house and move to "Podunk" to a delightful Cape. Darrell helped all in the move. I was hired to sell at auction Marion's and Babe's vast antique inventory. Marion loved me and I her. When I called her I would always say "Hi, Mrs. Varney."


The long and short of it is Marion instructed me in the ways of American antiquity. I remember the term millifiori. as applied to decorative glass wear. Marion wanted me to succeed as an aspiring auctioneer.








In selling her house another agent told her "it's overpriced" at $190,000. She was between a rock and a hard spot as her heart was now in "Podunk." I got lucky, got the listing and made a sale to Marlena, a Bostonian, and staged an auction in the driveway at Summer Street. I featured George M. Cohan music from "George M" and editor Sandy Miller wrote of it "blaring."








The estate was so formidable. A highlight was an autographed document from one Benjamin Franklin which Marion sold to me for $1,000! If anything, Marion Watson Varney was genuine. Her artistic prowess was revealed in her tole painting. What I liked most of all was her sense of humor as Judy in New Mexico just commented on.








106 Summer Street, North Brookfield, was Marion's Camelot. For me it was my graduate school in American antiquity! I show Christ Memorial Church post card as artist Jacob Knight featured Marion and Babe' wedding in his Town of N.Brookfield painting.








I will be happy to have any more memories of Marion posted!






Marion's Shoppe














No comments:

Post a Comment