Wednesday, April 12, 2017

MEMORIES OF FORT KNOX, KENTUCKY 1966

In cleaning out some old papers I came across a Fort Knox, KY postcard featuring the U.S. Bullion Depository! It was my first written correspondence with my parents upon becoming a soldier. This is what my black in writing reads:


 Postmark - May 18, 1966  Fort Knox, ky 40121




"Good and you? Gold is gold.




Nice country - no sweat - Don't have an address yet. Thousands of guys here - 9 from Springfield.. flew jet.. Good flight via J.F.K, Cincinnati, Louisville.


 BOB"




I was almost 24 years old, had my Degree and didn't have a clue what would be in store! Uncle Sam gave us a battery of tests and you can bet your Bippy I applied myself getting 131 on my GT Test.




Basic Training was all about getting in shape. We drank near beer and went to bed at 9:00 P.M. We slept in bunk beds  and if you didn't get up at revelry your ass was grass as the sergeant pulled the bunk over!




We ran the mile at 6:00 AM and I enjoyed a Mountain Dew for breakfast. Later we went to the Rifle Range. I always tried to hit the most distant silhouette! 'NO BRASS OR AMMUNITION' got you off the firing range.




John B. O'Sullivan was my buddy and Sergeant Roy was our drill sergeant. He used language that revealed him (dumb) LOL
.


Kentucky at first was beautiful then by the end of June we sweat and even had reduced physical activities.




Basic Training at Fort Knox as I turned 24 prepped me for Texas and Fort Sam Houston and X-Ray School. It was like returning to college.




Tonight I will watch PBS and World War I with pride .. knowing I did the right thing in serving my Country. Thank You!
















No comments:

Post a Comment