Monday, June 8, 2020

WORCESTER TORNADO,JUNE 9, 1953

I wasn't quite 11 when the Worcester Tornado hit! I was a boy working in my basement on South Main St, North Brookfield. As I recall all conditions were ripe for such an occurrence. High humidity and a depressing moment set the tone.

Some of the first eyewitnesses came from men leaving work in Worcester at Nortons. I heard of men riding in their car pressing the throttle to the floor and not moving!

The 1953 Worcester tornado lasted1 hour and 18 minutes. It is an F4 tornado. Word traveled fast. I heard of Assumption College being devastated. From the onset in Petersham it traveled through Worcester, Shrewsbury, Southborough and Westboro, 10,000 people were left homeless. 94 people were killed in all.. 60 from Assumption College.
Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment