Saturday, June 13, 2020

WEST POINT GRADUATION 2020

It was a two hour ceremony in brilliant sunshine; it was a time of evoking memories of my U.S. Army time 1966-1968.

I was almost 24 when I was drafted in the U.S. Army. Initially I was to become an officer in the U.S. Marines.! As fate would have it I received a call from Capt. William B. Williams asking me "If I could wait until August?" The proposed school at Quantico was full. I, in turn asked "Can I get out of this?" "Yes" I requested to be disenrolled. I then said I'll take my chances. I got drafted on May 13, 1966!

Only a veteran can identify with Army life. It is humbling as well as being rewarding. Basic training in May in Kentucky was fun. I lost weight and never felt better. Advanced training at Ft. Sam Houston, TX was like "going back to college!" I was trained to be a medic with a specialty in X-Ray technology. After training I was shipped to Vietnam!

Twelve months and twelve days saw me enduring the life of a GI. I achieved by becoming Soldier of the Month E-5. I traveled to Australia for my R&R and became friends with the Australian troops who were stationed nearby in Vung Tau.

Seeing today's Cadets in graduating ceremony tells me I did the right thing by serving my Country. I thought 'Maybe one of my grandchildren will go to West Point? Madeline or Savannah or Evelyn?

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN


 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment