Sunday, June 21, 2020

REMEMBERING DAD ON HIS DAY

I learned a lot from my dad, Joe, in his 70 years on earth! Born in 1913, the fifth of six children, Joseph Emil Potvin grew up in North Brookfield...first in Wine Village then at 11 South Main Street. Joe, at a young age demonstrated mechanical skills. At 14 he crafted a miniature car he could sit in.

Life was a struggle for dad. He was forced in quitting school at age 14. 'I cried but my father insisted I work in the shoe factory to help in family expenses.' He obliged.

Dad worked for H.H. Brown as a bedlaster until after WWII ended. He married mother in 1936. Then he was recruited by my uncle A.L.Potvin - Builder. Uncle Al and dad built houses in the Brookfields for 20 years...more than twenty in all. Summit Terrace NB was fashioned by Al and dad.

I was extremely close to my dad. I observed every move he made. As a result I learned traits of a carpenter. Growing up as a teen I worked along side Uncle Al and dad as a carpenter's helper.

On the personal side dad enjoyed a good time. He would play the harmonica as he socialized with family.  My father was a moderate man. Church was attended every Sunday with mother.

Sister Jan had 5 children and I .. Ben & Josh.

In dad's retirement he was fascinated in burning wood for the parlor stove. All along dad would say "Bobby, you take care of me when I'm old!" And I did. Dad helped me restore two homes in West Brookfield. He also saw me begin raising my two sons Ben & Josh.

Dad lived to be 70 and had a stroke. In his years as my father, I learned the value of picking nuts on Donovan Road and other things. He was exemplary in setting an example. He never owned a new car but every car was like new. He hemmed his new suit pants bought from Max Cohen and espoused "everybody should have a sense of humor!"

"The best a man can do.. is to do his best!" How lucky can I be as I reach my 78th year on July 29?!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment