Monday, January 21, 2019

MY MOUNT WASHINGTON OBSERVATORY

Many folks don't realize it but you can access the entire picture of what MTW is experiencing in the confines of your own home! Just log onto "Mount Washington Summit. Present conditions.

Don Kent always included Mt. Washington in his weather reports. It is the intrigue of the wind speeds that get's me. The world's record of peak gusts was recorded in 1934 at 231 mph. Today, it is not uncommon to experience winds in excel of 100 mph. Having worked atop the "rock pile" for a month in 1963 I have some knowledge regarding what may be going on.

While living in the old Mt. Washington Summit House I lived through 90 mph winds! The chandelier swayed as a bolt of lightening hit the rail tracks of the Cog Railway. In 1959 Freddy Smith and I drove to the top on the Auto Road!

The worst the weather may get. the more I'm enthused. It keeps me on my toes!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Famed Cog Railway

Been there.. done that!

No comments:

Post a Comment