Friday, August 31, 2018

THE SPENCER FAIR, TODAY

With cooler temperatures and a sunny start, the 130th Annual Spencer Fair at the fairgrounds, Spencer, MA, got off to a good start.My mission was in earnest as I slowed things down and took time to smell the roses!

My $7.00 admission fee proved to be worthwhile in every respect. The rides didn't begin until noon so I walked over to the displays of chicks, bees and other good stuff. Next, I went to Old McDonalds farm where smaller animals were visible through their cages. My thoughts on this aspect of the Fair was to make sure EVIE attend the fair. Young children abound with parents and grandparents.

Next was an antique tractor display.Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Larger animals including a Clydesdale and dairy cows caught my attention. More education on animal husbandry.

Exhibits are everywhere with vendors hoping to capture your interests.

I chatted briefly with WARE 97.7 FM Deejay Tony Powers. Today the local radio station has a much farther reach.www.classichits977. I even requested Piano Man by Billy Joel!

My highlight was to witness the Giant Pumpkin weigh-in. This year's winner  at 675lbs is Wes Dwelly of Oakham. Wes is the all-time pumpkin champ..14 or 15 years winning.  Talked to David Matera, my friend and client from yesteryear. His nephew and other contestants weighed in at 559lb, and 433 lb. The lightest pumpkin weighs 315.

I think this Spencer Fair is a real winner. You can check things out at www.spencerfair.org for details.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
FAIR AND WARMER
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


 
Sample photo

No comments:

Post a Comment