Friday, August 17, 2018

ARETHA'S SOUL

In 1993 I attended a concert given for Bill Clinton prior to his inauguration. Aretha Franklin's soulful singing, bedecked in a massive mink coat, is remembered to this day! The lady had class then and her song R-E-S-P-E-C-T rings loudly in my memory!

Today's New York Times portrays Aretha Franklin in a way I have never seen before. Coverage of her life's history is wonderful. It is a history term paper in itself! "At age 12 Ms. Franklin joined her father on tour.."  Franklin set the stage for thousands of Soul Sisters and others." No one blended the sacred and the sexual quite as Aretha did" writes Cinque Henderson in today's TIMES.

What I like learning is about the humanness of Aretha: "She pumped her own gas!" Aretha Franklin touched hearts of humanity and her music, now, is for the ages to enjoy! I like "I Say A Little Payer" best. RIP Aretha!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585



No comments:

Post a Comment