Saturday, August 4, 2018

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM REDUX

It has been quite a while since I watched Good Morning Vietnam. Robin Williams portrays a deejay, Adrian Cronauer and is funny, beyond all limitations. He looks so young in this Touchstone Picture. What I like best about this movie is how close the movie mirrors some of my Vietnam experiences in 1967. Today the movie was on TV!

For about a month I taught English as a second language to Vietnamese adults. Then I was friendly with Do Thi Nam, a secretary who worked in the 345tht Medical Detachment.

The social portrayals reminded me of the extra curricular activities I participated in after hours. My time wasn't in combat though I did collect combat pay. Music was heard in our barracks each day at 6:00 AM. We had 33 Vietnamese beer and the troops had "girlfriends." Today, the Vietnam War seems so distant. In 1998 I returned to Vietnam for 9 days. Boy, has the place changed. Today, my clothes and some foods are Made in Vietnam!

"Good Morning Vietnam" will live forever and if you have never seen it.. it's not too late!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment