Monday, July 23, 2018

MY TED WILLIAMS MEMOIR

I got to touch Ted William's arm as he drove away from Fenway Park in 1959 after attending a double header at Fenway Park with Jim Cadman and my folks. Ted was driving a shiny new Cadillac and seemed to be herding the crowd of fans as he left! He seemed to be merciless in his manners.

In 2002, on the day of his death, I was living in Boston at the veteran's shelter on Court Street when I decided to go to Fenway to see what was going on. It was on the doorstep at Fenway I observed a solitary red rose! There wasn't anything else present showing of his passing.

Then I recognized a face, a custodian, whom I asked about the memory of #9. I was amazed at his response! "Ted Williams was a no good SOB!" This was the legacy he left at Fenway! I was amazed.

Ted Williams was bigger than life. He was lanky, arrogant, handsome, controversial and most of all, human. He was patriotic and served his Country well. I liked Ted Williams s he was truly the best! I owned an Hillerich & Bradsby  baseball bat for years bearing his emblazoned signature! His signature flowed like his home-run swing! When YAZ was coming up as a slugger Ted advised Carl "to improve his signature. He did!

The best part of TW was the contest with Joe DiMaggio. Both men left an indelible mark to the game of baseball. Hitter Ward Boggs credits his successes to reading the Ted William's book The Science of Hitting.

I even once asked Curt Gowdy about Ted when Curt spoke at Aetna Men's Club in Hartford! "Ted Williams was all set!" was his response.

Ted liked fishing and will always be remembered as "The best in baseball!" I liked his rhythm in his swing, the best!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
A TRUE TW FAN!
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment