Friday, July 6, 2018

A RECAP OF MY RARE COIN, CLOCK AND ESTATE AUCTIONS

It all began with my calling 10 lot coin auctions at the Worcester County Numismatic Society's monthly meetings in 1979-1980. My interest in becoming an auctioneer grew. First it was several friends from the coin club recruited me to auction off their Benefit Auctions. As my interests grew my desire to be trained in the ways of a professional grew... first  with two weeks attending Missouri Auction School.. then to Indiana University, Bloomington.




coins.. then it was doing

My big break came in 1982 when Norman J. Richardson, Trust Officer at Shawmut hired me to liquidate the real and personal property at the Barry Estate, Hampton Street, Auburn. Then it was called "Beginner's Luck." Not really as I had planned on being a success!

I observed other auctioneers such as Bob Glass. Auctioneering is a calling not for the faint hearted. A strong back, good vocal chords and a helpful team makes an auction become real. It took me 4-6 weeks to effectuate a sale. Having product knowledge is tantamount to it all. My library grew as I grew.

Auctions may be "On-Site" or Ballroom. On site auctions lend themselves to being more profitable. Also, I don't like auctions with a Reserve! My philosophy is "One Way .. out the door.. to the Highest Bidder.

Anything and everything may be auctioned off: Cars, trucks, equipment, antiques.. you name it.. to the highest bidder.

My auction sales have been staged in Belchertown, Tully, Ware, Clinton, Auburn, the Brookfields, Worcester, Southbridge and beyond. An auctioneer requires a State License and a permit in the municipality where the event will be staged. Inspection and a good prepared catalog or listing gives you order and direction.

You will need auction clerks, cashiers, runners and another auctioneer or two depending on the size of the auction. Logistics are important to properly display items to be sold. Clerking sheets are good to record prices and bidder numbers.Also, a policeman is needed for traffic control.

By offering the more prominent items first you control the flow of the auction in my view.  Plus the auctioneer must keep his cool.

National and state organizations of auctioneers offer training and insights into the process of selling. National Conventions are exciting and are held each summer. I have attended conventions in  Atlanta,Anaheim, Houston, Philadelphia, Hollywood, FL and Oklahoma City! For me it was always a family affair! Also, seminars are offered in different times of the year.

The most expensive item ever auctioned off by me came in 1982 when a Chippendale Slant Front Desk c. 1790 fetched $8,000 + 10%.!


S-ROLL TOP $2,000





TIGER MAPLE  sold for  $8.000 +10%

Today, the internet, smart phones and all have changed the auction mix. Be it as it may, auctions still can be fun and that they are!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
AU 2000
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585



No comments:

Post a Comment