Thursday, September 22, 2016

THEY HAVE KILLED MY FRIEND, PRESIDENT KENNEDY

I was a jaunty college student walking from class to class when a fellow student blurted out "some nut has killed the President"!I was choked with emotion. I ran over to Olive & Grand, St. Louis and caught the news aat Lou's Tobacco where I worked on Friday nights. It was true. Kennedy was gone and so was the hope for happiness. How could anyone be so crazy. Oswald had killed my friend.




Students sought refuge in the College Church. People roamed the streets is disbelief.





I sought truth so I went to the Political Science Department where the professor was seated at his desk. It was awful. People were sick. There were no answers just questions. My loss was that of losing a friend. I had emulated our fallen leader in every way as I wanted to be a President someday and JFK was role model. My dream had turned into a nightmare.




Now a tall Texan with a drawl and cowboy hat tried to assuage the Nation's heartbreak. The tumultuous times had arrived and Vietnam was the new war in town. Then things went down hill further and further. Camelot had evaporated and the quagmire of Indo-China was the new kid in town. Terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment