Friday, September 2, 2016

AETNA - I'M GLAD I MET CHA!

 I think I'm in love again! Aetna said "yes" to me in March of 1965. I was hired by a man in Ware,



 MA.


In May of this year I wrote Aetna about the necessary awareness of Vietnam Veterans. Low and behold my letter was answered by  Karen S. Lynch, President! It was "love at first sight," again.




Aetna is the behemoth in the insurance industry with more money than Fort Knox. How about assets of $47,294 billion and employees of 48,600! Aetna employees more people than the Pentagon.






My career was in the Vietnam Era. from service in Worcester to Chicago Heights to Brockton to the Home Office in Hartford. I was a Claim Represeentative and passionate about my job.  and made something of my 12 years both before and after Military Service. At the end I ran  the claim adjuster school in Field Management. But something deep inside said I wanted to be my own boss so I quit Cold Turkey. I had two young sons. " NOBODY IN A CLASS 32 job quits." I quit! I wanted my freedom. A bold move for a guy of 34.




People tried to make me feel guilty. It didn't work. The Town of Windsor, CT hired me as an Economic Develop Aide to promote the Town in their community in publishing a brochure. I had BIGGER PLANS!.. to be an auctioneer. I pulled it off, moved back to West Brookfield and  had fun rocking rolling in 1979 as the with the help of the Hunt Brothers. I had returned to the Brookfields.. the return of the native. My folks were indeed thrilled..






I became something as an entrepreneur. I savored my freedom and lived happily ever after. But the trick of it all was the training I got from 1965 to 1977. No was would I have succeeded if it wasn't for my time with Aetna.The magnitude of the corporate world taught me how solid Aetna is.  I COULD NEVER HAVE IMPROVED A JOB WITH ANOTHER COMPANY. I tried but I always reverted to the halls of AETNA. From the get-go in Ware in March of 1965.. AETNA, AETNA, AETNA!


Today, my sons have insurance careers, two other great Companies, The Hartford and The Principal. Maybe my grandson Chase Robert will someday follow through?


Insurance is the backbone in our society and I say from the bottom of my heart..AETNA, I'M LOVING IT AT AGE 74.Thank you!







No comments:

Post a Comment