Thursday, September 29, 2016

BECAUSE I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN AUCTIONEER!

I had already been successful in the insurance field when I decided to switch gears. Colby Johnson and Paul Langevin inspired me as old Yankee Auctioneers. But their MO and style wasn't what I wanted to go for. I wanted to be the best and I wanted to be myself.... and I was, indeed.




Auctioneering is totally demanding both for the back and brain. My corporate training gave me platform skills. I was ready. First, I volunteered doing church auctions then earned some handsome commissions like $10,000. My family was very young and I had a "made-up-mind" to be one of the better auctioneers in the area.




I bought books on business and antique furniture. I hired so called experts to guide me as I learned there's no such thing as a ONE MAN SHOW. I employed my family and friends and showed the world how it worked, that auctioneering thing. I gained the confidence of the lawyers and bankers and general public. Auctioneering became FUN for me.




For some twenty years I gave it my best then, with divorce, I hung up my gavel.My sons learned immensely on the ways of business, old coins, and tricks of the trade. Not everybody can be a good auctioneer. You must work at it and be reasonably honest and I was!. LOL.









!

No comments:

Post a Comment