Sunday, September 25, 2016

SKYPE AND MEMORIES FROM AUSTRALIA

I enjoyed a marvelous trans-oceanic relationship for the past five years by way of my Australian Skype mate Rodney Bryar. As a master ship model craftsman. Rod knew the score. He was passionate about American History and introduced me to the Civil War books. It was a  friendship of history. His home in Kia, NSW was rife with hand-crafted nautical  goodies.








Rod was also an ardent fisherman. When I visited Rod & Maddie in December of 1998 we traveled to Ben Boyd Park. I was having a nap on the sands of time his dog "Noodle" took a lick at my chops and woke me up!
.


Rod made my three trips to Australia truly memorable. He was my stem and stern of Australian travel from the Sydney Opera House to the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns


. We rode the Puffing Billy steam locomotive on the outskirts of Melbourne in 1966.


We were young and sure to have our way. Later, we rode a steaming tender beauty in CT. Rod walked up to the cabin and spoke with the bearded engineer/ conductor as if they were friends. They were friends indeed.








I recall going to a nightclub wearing Rod's clothes (big) and seeing The Man grab the microphone and stole the show. This was the real Rod Bryar! To the end we embraced the miracle of SKYPE. We both saw old men enjoying the miracle of SKYPE and the intimacy of our enduring friendship to the end. He called last week for the last time.








I dare say our near 50 year friendship and brotherhood was truly unique. When Rod called he always addressed me as Monsoir Potvin.We were friends to the end!


















No comments:

Post a Comment