Sunday, September 25, 2016

IT TOOK AN AUSTRALIAN IN MY LIFE

I have just received word of my Australian Mate's passing. Meeting in Vietnam in uniform, Rodney Bryar had an infectious spirit. His house was my house while visiting Rod in Melbourne in 1967. Rod steered me in the ways of being Australian and musician.


Rod steered me into the home of Gayle and John Anthony in Cairns, Australia. Bryar was my compass and maybe I was his. He came to America for a week in 1998 and was amused by the squirrels on Boston Common. No squirrels in Australia. But inherent beauty there is on the lonely continent, Down Under.


I have traveled to Australia three times because of Rod. His wisdom was my wisdom. His spirit was my spirit. His happiness was my happiness. his sadness was my sadness. Rod had one primary vice: tobacco. I followed his addiction to the end. In my view it proved to be ugly.


Rod was loyal, intelligent and loved American history. How can I replace such a Mate? With memories, I guess. His biggest hit song was "FUN IN THE SUN." When October comes around we'll have fun in the sun.... fun, indeed. RIP MY MATE!







Rod's AMERICAN SPIRIT





Son Dan & Wife


Puffing Billy  Australia


The Old Man & The Sea


Prototypes




Rod was an Australian Dental Technician








No comments:

Post a Comment