Thursday, September 22, 2016

MOON LANDING

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade"




There was such a flurry of activity when I attended Worcester Junior College, Worcester, MA. The beauty was I had a front row seat to the Space Race. "Captain Kennedy led the team as Col John Glenn and Alan B. Shepard floated through the heavens. Boy was it exciting.


We heard the name of Robert Goddard more and more. As the father of American rocketry we were imbued in Goddard's Auburn legacy. Better yet, his wife Esther spoke at my graduation. As a postage stamp collector I hinged up with Project Mercury and others. My physics professor, David O Kubly joined in the fun.


Wernher Von Braun came to the city on a speaking engagement. America was proud of the many accomplishments in Space. In 1962 I worked for Frank Cooke Inc., North Brookfield, Ma grinding a reflecting mirror for a satellite!


Fast forward to 1998 I lived at Cape Canaveral hoping to find work. No soap but I did have the winter to learn about space history. Today we live in advancing times. The SmartPhone is much smarter than we ever thought and those primitive times of the 1960s have transformed our lives to a Buck Rogers scenario. It is a wonderful world we live in thanks to the pioneers of space!










No comments:

Post a Comment