Sunday, September 25, 2016

EXPENSIVE EPHEMERA

The day before Election, 1960, I traveled to Springfield, MA with Iron Mike Coughlin. We went to the Tom O'Connor Headquarters. While there I was given a JFK sign. I was proud of it and the candidate (Kennedy) and nailed on our pine tree when I got home. This act did not go well with my father.




He was modest and didn't approve of my action. He griped the cardboard sign in destruction. Now, 56 years later I see such a political sign in the Times for $1,250. Oh, my. we sold short! Such as life.




The fleeting moment taught me a lesson; Don't throw anything away! LOL. In my "antique years" I bought a steamer trunk in Spencer. Low and behold on the interior base was a piece of political cardboard. I lifted it and it read 'KEEP COOL AND KEEEP COOLIDGE" a 1924 campaign poster. The moral of the story is to look for surprises in the darned places! Did I learn my lesson? I keep looking and looking and looking in the darndest places. It works. Did I ever tell you about the $40,000 postage stamp collection I found down the Cape?





Today, a framed JFK campaign  poster from 1960 for $1,275!

No comments:

Post a Comment