Thursday, June 20, 2019

MY MEMORIES OF OLD CAPE COD

It all began in the summer of 1954 with my family joining the Andy Stevens
family for a week's visit on Sea Street, Dennis Port. from there we grew and discovered Eastham where Andy and Dave built summer homes. and in 1963 I discovered a uniformed National Park Service Ranger in uniform. This discovery inspired me to wanting to be a ranger!

The chips fell and I was given a ranger position for the 1964 season. North Brookfield' Francis T. "Red" Lee helped me by contacting Senator Ted Kennedy. Bingo! I was assigned to Herring Cove, Provincetown in June of 1964. This seasonal position proved to be the highlight of my early adulthood.

I was assigned the duty of patrolling the sand dunes in Truro, lived in a tiny cabin and read Thoreau's poetry as I ensconced in a sandy cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean!

National Park Rangers have a variety of duties and mine was "select." I got to know and understand what the Outer  Cape Cod really is all about; Appreciation of Mother Nature!

Cape Cod National Seashore advises of "a wonderful leasing program at the seashore...www.nps.gov.caco/planyourvisit/lodging.htm.

 Check it out!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

 
Dad & Ranger Bob
 

No comments:

Post a Comment