Wednesday, December 23, 2015

REAL ESTATE

As an auctioneer I have seen quite a few of different deals in my life I have auctioned off raw development land and historic homes in Southern New England. I have owned ten homes and have learned a lesson or two. I learned when someone faults the property it means they want it. I have had two legs up in real estate because my loving father taught me a thing or three about the construction of a house. He was a carpenter.

At the end of WWII homes were selling for about $5,000! By 1970 they were close to $20,000. In those days the dollar bought a lot and the mortgage payments were tiny. Of course, wages were meager yet we got by buying 3lbs of Hamburg for a dollar. We lived in different worlds in the fifties. Pride-in-ownership prevailed in our home with a good coat of paint every four years and the grass was mowed regularly.

If children learn what they live, I was taught by the best. This trait transferred to my young life as an adult. In selling houses I learned a thing.  "People  have got to live somewhere." A man's home is his castle' holds true today. The only thing is the values of real estate have skyrocketed.

I was bank auctioneer doing foreclosures for ten years. I learned a thing or two back when. I quit because I didn't like the attitudes of the bankers. No compassion for the "victims." It is a cruel world out there.

I have found a few truisms in dealing in real estate...ALWAYS TRY TO BUY A HOUSE THAT IS UNOCCUPIED..it may be cheaper. Find a "don't-wanter"' someone that don't want the house. OREO... other real estate owned. Many banks have portfolios of empty homes. Another secret in looking for a house is an Estate Property. I have had excellent luck in this regard. They there's a property being divided in divorce proceedings. You will be negotiating prices with two individuals who are on the outs.

Remember, "paint and wallpaper are cheap." By becoming a weekend warrior with the paintbrush you become an "artist" and can save thousands. If you are handy you are in. If you have the talent in flipping houses you may become rich. Real estate is all about working hard and taking it in your stride. Even now, at age 73, I enjoy working on real estate. Get ready to make some money as fixing up a house are labors of love!










No comments:

Post a Comment