Friday, December 25, 2015

A DIFFERENT KIND OF CHRISTMAS DAY

It has ben a different kind of Christmas day. Our lawns need mowing and people are in shirtsleeves. Me too.  I have in front of me an essay I wrote on December 25, 1961! The content of the essay is truly amazing. as I was a freshman at Worcester Junior College and my English composition teacher liked my style in writing.

My ancient "blog" told of a wicked winter wrath that shivered me timbers. As I was as meteorologist-in-the making, a Christmas Blizzard flew me to the moon. Back then the moon was the moon not a destination. I was only 19 years old and geared my "anemometer-brain" for some action.. a Nor'Easter. 'All day the snow was light but at dusk it began snowing very heavily." All night long the Northerly winds have been blowing the heavy snow developing the storm into  a real old fashioned blizzard." Get excited!

Who would think my paper would serve as my blog in 2015.I guess there's a method in my madness? My parents always encouraged me to "write it down." In winter storms, the worst has always brought out the best in me. I have always tried to be my own man and certainly meteorology does the trick. Son Ben knows this as does son Josh. This Christmas blizzard dumped 18 inches on the Brookfields.

Mother Rita kept a weather journal for 25 years. I will have to review her notes to see just how many White Christmases she recorded. I can recall others being perched in my room like the Beachboys sing. My boyhood bedroom was like a miniature observatory graced with instrumentation. I am hip you know... then and now.

My family on Josh's side is in flux. They move to Birch Hill tomorrow...Mike McIntyre's old house. Having 4 kids, Josh and Heidi need elbowroom. The J & H team has been working assiduously to insure the more is what they plan and hope for. Your "comfort factor" gets distorted when you move. Some folks spend 40 years and more at the same location. Pas moi. Us Potvins are rolling stones. It keeps us young.

Son Ben just called from the Carolinas. Ben and Allison moved to Belmont, NC, earlier this year. we are peripatetic!

They say snow on Tuesday. No frost in the ground. Snow plowing entrepreneurs are suffering without any snow. In reality, with Winter here can Spring be far behind? January, February, March..... Maybe it will be a snowless winter? LOL

















No comments:

Post a Comment