Tuesday, December 29, 2015

AUCTIONEER

I have been an auctioneer since 1974. I love the action, suspense, challenge of being on the stage of life. I began attending estate auctions at an extremely young age.. say 9 years old. I was mesmerized by the auctioneer's chant. Old Colby Johnson captured my imagination and by the age of 14 I began to follow Mr. Johnson around. I was a very early beginner.

There's something in being an auctioneer... in your spirit. Auctioneering is cognitive. You cannot wing it. You must buy books like Warmans for knowledge. You look things up and learn .I bought my first Warmans at age 32. It was my beginning. You earn your reputation nd go as high as you want. I have traveled to the other side of the Moon in my selling.

Auction School in Kansas City then onto Indiana University for CAI. I have made friends cross the Land. My sons, Ben and Josh have grown with me in all aspects of being an auctioneer. I delight in their auction prowess they learned with "Betty Botter" an auctioneer chant. I don't profess in being a Speed Riggs but I do admit of being a student of the auctioneering game.

I began doing benefit auctions then grew in holding Estate Auctions.. where folks died and liquidation was necessary Sometimes siblings fight... enter the auctioneer.










It takes four to six weeks to orchestrate a sale. The auctioneer is the impresario in charge of everything.. manpower.. police detail.. logistics.. appraisals. .clerking., . cashiering. trash removal... the whole nine yards.

You must have an Auctioneer License in Massachusetts..my number is AU2000!  Payout to owners or consignors by me is 10 days. The share of my business came from bank trust officers, lawyers and families. Today E-Bay and the Internet has changed things. No matter what I still "think  I think like an auctioneer-blogger.

The whole essence of auctioneering is action and adventure. 'People are going to die...and people are going to buy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment